The pandemic has highlighted the need for touch and intimacy, particularly among disabled people. Even before the pandemic began, many of us were participating in little or no intimacy or touch because of disability-related social isolation.
Many disabled people do not receive any form of sex education. Meanwhile, others receive the limited amount that some public schools provide in the USA. Outside of the USA, the availability of accurate, comprehensive, consent-driven, disability-informed sex education is as nearly nonexistent.
It is crucial that folks who teach sex ed to disabled people be ready to go beyond their established curricula. This may mean teaching and guiding disabled folks in everything from: choosing a PCA (personal care attendant) who is sex-positive; to navigating dating apps; to sexual health including reproductive rights; and, to kink accommodations for various disabilities.
Pleasurable are excited to bring these classes to educators and people with disabilities.
- The Pleasurable workshop series will meet twice per month via Zoom.
- The schedule of workshops will be released by March 2022.
- There will be workshops for educators who teach disabled people and there will be workshops directly for disabled people.
- Join our mailing list or follow us on social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) to receive announcements about the upcoming workshops.
- Educators, facilitators, and those providing language access will be compensated fairly for their time.
- Admission to each class is on a sliding scale from $0-$30 with the option to “Pay It Forward” into a scholarship fund. You can contribute to the scholarship fund now by donating to Pleasurable or joining our Patreon.
- Group admission packages, for example, as arranged by Centers for Independent Living, are available per class.
- Monthly, quarterly, and year-long passes are also available.
- No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- Class length times are up to the educators giving each presentation; they may be up to 90 minutes long with the remainder of the 120 minutes used for questions and answers, support, and conversations.
- CART captioning and ASL interpretation will be provided for all 120 minutes of each session.
- After each event, recordings of the class with open captioning, transcription, accessible slides, chat transcript, and any notes from educators will be made available to ticket purchasers for 28 days.
Pleasurable Educator Application
Now accepting applications for classes in 2022.